Thursday, May 1, 2008

How an English Accent goes Further

Another thing I've learned from my extensive travels in bizarre parts of the world is that the English accent reigns. We’re not speaking of the Irish, Scottish or any other twisted sounds from that little island. We are speaking of BBC English (although Posh and Becks have lowered the standard). It's globally recognized as the most attractive, the most desirable and the most coveted way to speak. Take a look at the lineup of British faces in Hollywood who are drooled over every time they open their mouths.

If you ever get the hang of faking it, do use it. Americans are not the most popular people and it’s better to associate yourself with another location. The British aren’t typically very popular either but that’s okay, they’re just quirky and are allowed to be quirky, or so the feeling goes. At any rate their accent is legendary for its charm and appeal and also easily confused with Australian, and Southern Africa accents. In South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Zambia, I was just another white African. Also, children in schools in Kenya to China learn British English in schools so they are familiar with that flavor of English (even though everyone watches American TV). Either way, my time tested belief is that an English accent gets you further because 1) I have to repeat myself much less. 2) I get so much more respect. 3) I don’t get asked very loudly in awkward situations if I’m American.

Now I tell people I’m from Zimbabwe, in some places being a loud American isn't the best thing and so while we don't lie, we learn to be quiet and blend it. I did come from Zimbabwe, it’s completely true and I am a newly converted rugby fan. And if changing an accent gets you further, do it!

No comments: