Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How to Finish an AA Online

I can finally say I've finished university. I have graduated, I can breath in a deep breath of air, enjoy the freedom, revel in the delight and joy of no responsibilities...or can I? Actually I'm only half done. I've finished my first two years of university with an AA degree, half way to a final four year degree. Nonetheless, it's a degree, it's a great place to be and by transferring in four classes and taking a summer semester, I completed two years in 18 months.

Having now finished the mountain of former problems blend into a mirage of memories including bad internet, bad math homework, a few locational moves, couple of tankers worth of coffee, and maybe even a few fits of rage at whatever thing was supposed to function but wasn't...I live overseas...remember? The mirage notwithstanding, I'm glad to finish and be on to new adventures. It's time to try something else.

I learned a few tricks for online success. 1) Drink coffee, lots of coffee because if you don't you'll be sorry. That's all I can say. 2) Work ahead, the internet often dies, the teachers are late responding to email the school site goes down so you've got to stay a few days ahead. 3) Play the "I live overseas card," okay...I used this trick with the profs when I truly did have an excuse and it worked well though playing the card normally meant there was a problem with resulted in more work for me so in the end it's a negative thing.

Sadly I didn't get to wear the funny graduation outfit. I'll have to wait another two years for that privilege. I'll have to work even longer, harder, endure strange food, more professors who take forever to grade homework and more poorly written papers by other students who constantly forget to justify their page margins. But now that's just a part of life.

No comments: