Thursday, July 15, 2010

How I'm going back to Asia

I’ve picked on people who graduated college and had jobs waiting for them. Basically, I’m grossly envious. I told myself, "the world just doesn't work like that anymore. I'm a new generation that graduates unmarried, unattached and unemployed." Yeah...well that was funny of me...but the point stands. I won't have that diploma till August...but I'm employed...and I'm dating...and I can't stop laughing because apparently it's true that God does have a sense of humor.

I was drowning in so much work second semester senior year I had no time whatsoever to thoughts of "post-college life." So I decided to simply graduate (or walk rather) and figure it out later. I’ve spent the summer in DC working for Mennonite Central Committee Washington Office on domestic policy issues. I needed a practicum to fully get that diploma which will be mine in August. I looked around DC and decided that politics and advocacy are just too brutal for my taste. I dislike what divides people, I dislike bashing politicians we don't like and dislike the inaction in general.

MCC was my first choice for future jobs for many reasons; they’re a small grassroots organization, they work at the community level, they’re well respected (even adored) in the peacebuilding world, and they’re faith-based ie. Menno-based. I was more then happy when they expressed interest in my application for a position in Phnom Penh Cambodia. I didn’t think it would actually go through, but it did, rather quickly, and they offered it to me. It’s a three-year voluntary service worker position working with a local non-governmental organization working with families and family systems to promote peace and nonviolence; mediation, facilitation, trauma healing, international development, and qualitative research…all things I adore and one day, I'll maybe even be an expert.

So...NY with family and friends until mid-October when I’ll be down in Akron PA for orientation and I’ll be in Phnom Penh just in time for my 22 birthday early November. Gosh, I am young.

Perhaps I’m most amazed because I get to do exactly what I want to be doing; peacebuilding from the bottom up overseas with funny food, foreign cultures and Menno values (not to mention complete legitimacy in the Mennonite world...which is kind of important...don't ask me why). It’s the right time and I’m increasingly confident it’s the right place. I continue to be absolutely amazed how everything is completely falling into place…and when that happens, you just know good plans, wonderful lessons, and beautiful faces are in store. I'm still processing the knowledge that I won't see so many beautiful people I cherish which is a difficult adjustment. Yet my plan is to return for grad school at the end of my term. And three years...it's not that long when I consider how upon my return I'll still qualify for my parents health insurance coverage under the new health care reform. I am pretty young.

No comments: