Thursday, September 9, 2010

How to Move Overseas

I've spent a lot of time the past few weeks thinking about my upcoming move to Southeast Asia. Two check-on bags and one carry-on for my upcoming new life! Problem is, I might have been thinking about it too much. Worries can take hold and I scare myself contemplating all the things that could go wrong and all the things that will change while I'm gone. What if it's too hot there? What if my allergies kill me in a smoggy Asian city? What if I get hit by a motorcycle? What if my friends get married in the States while I'm gone? What if I'm under-prepared for my job? What if I hate Khmer or it's too hard to learn? What if my family and friends forget about me, or let me fade to the periphery? What if I'm crazy for thinking I could do that? I just finished uni...and I'm moving 12 time zones around the world.

That's why you don't think. Don't overthink I mean.

I want to do this. It's a combination of many things. I love being overseas. I'm home in the strangeness where everything is just a little off and your constantly scratching your head, even though I've grown accustom to life in America where everything is clean, organized and put together. I was raised to believe service is essential to a selfless life. I was exposed to Catholic Social Teachings (the infallible "CST") with instructs adherents to caring for the poor and oppressed. I was educated on Mennonite ideals of bringing peace where it's scarce. And I believe that in giving of yourself, paradoxically you find internal joy.

The biggest struggle moving overseas is trust; trust it's going to be okay, trust that forces beyond your control are not out to get you, and trust that it's part of a plan greater then your small mind. So death by motorcycle, weddings, funerals, and my overblown OCD fears will have to be overcome, recatagorized and dismissed. It will be awesome. The rational part of my brain doesn't doubt that for a moment.

No comments: