Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How to Celebrate Thanksgiving, or Not

Thanksgiving does not exist outside the 50 American States. I keep saying this to Americans in America because it's true. Maybe Thanksgiving extends some influence to US protectorates such as Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa. Here in Cambodia, I get holidays like International Human Rights Day, the kings birthday, the queen's birth, the kings's father's birthday and the three-day Cambodia New Year but not American Thanksgiving (even working for a bi-national American-Canadian organization).

Thanksgiving is far too American, steeped in a culturally specific story of manifest destiny, sporadically observed religious tradition, stupid culturally specific sports, and foods high in carbs that don't exist in other nations. Thanksgiving only goes as far as the American's who desire it will take the holiday. Thanksgiving came to Phnom Penh, only because Americans brought it and honestly, we only bring the food. We take it with us because it's part of who we are, it's part of a calender we find comforting, encourages a spirit of gratitude we understand as important, and because eating those high-carb foods brings a sense of stability.

I had a reverse Thanksgiving break this year. I got Monday and Tuesday off for Water Fest. And ironically given the stampede tragedy, we got Thursday off as a national day of mourning. So we actually got Thanksgiving off. I didn't do much. I was feeling tired so I hibernated with a book and a movie and eventually took a three-hour nap. As it is, we had our own Thanksgiving several days later, the expat staff and some of the interested national staff. It was delicious! We had stuffing (or dressing as some people call it), an actual turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, a pretty salad, Russian Mennonite Zwieback, apple cider, tropical fruit, and apple crisp and two types of pie. It was as close to a Thanksgiving in my global nomadic experience; good food and good people. It's what you make it and what you know.

I'm not exactly sure what to make of Thanksgiving sometimes. Remnants of culture to which I supposedly belong and links to food which I either dislike, can't access or are too high in carbs that I wouldn't eat anyway. I understand the significance of giving thanks. I made a list of 25 things which I'm thankful for, beginning with good health and ending with the people I love. I am thankful, but I suppose I don't have much need for a day to remind me of that when it's mixed with confusion and a lack of belonging. I count my blessings every day.

2 comments:

Kaylee Curtis said...

Grace I love you! You write so well and you say things in a way that makes sense - more sense than I could ever make of feelings I have too. You are absolutely fab, and I miss you lots! Thank you for your insights, thoughts, and feelings. :D

amanda + daniel said...

Its celebrated in a different month, but its a real, live outside-of-the-50-states, Canadian holiday too!