Thursday, September 29, 2011

How to Visit Singapore

All glammed up
While waiting to board my Singapore-bound plane last Saturday, I realized something; "This is my first international vacation." Sure I'd traveled domestically in Cambodia and in the United States. But this was the first time I decided to leave the country (on my own) for a vacation. And then I panicked because maybe I was misinformed and did need a visa even though I thought I didn't because I had to commit some grave mistake. Alas though, I didn't need a visa, I didn't commit any grave mistakes (besides picking up a disgusting stomach flu), and Singapore was everything I thought Singapore would be.

Orchid in the Garden
Singapore is an anomaly. It's rich. It's prosperous. It's shinny and you can eat of the metro floor. It's an island nation-state. And it has the death-penalty for drug trafficking. Singapore was given perfect geographical location, the same way some people are born with IQs over 115, and in both cases, the world is handed to you on a silver platter. They say location is everything, and they say it all comes down to economics.

I wanted to go because I found super cheap airline tickets, and because I wanted to see if it was really as upscale as everyone said it is. It is as upscale as everyone said it is. In fact, it's more so. I probably saw four Prada stores in addition to every other luxury brand under the sun. I saw the Formula 1 Grand Prix. I saw Orchard St which rivals the Champs Elysee. And I saw AC pouring out of every available vent which horrified all environmental sensibilities. 

A piece of the botanical gardens
But the most beautiful of Asian cities did provide a fabulous vacation. I soaked up the beauty of the Botanical Gardens (complete with a swan lake, a rain forest, a jungle and an eco-garden section). I road a bike down the coastal East Coast Park watching the joggers and the ocean of sea containers. I admired the divine orchids in the National Orchid Garden where there is a section called "VIP Orchids" showing up the exclusive Singaporean hybrids. I enjoyed sitting on the harbor-front next to the hideous yet famous Merlion, watching the turning Singapore Flyer, the sparking lights, and the silly tourists. I walked through Chinatown, Arab Street and Little India, which were certainly inauthentic but no less worth consideration.
The famous Merlion

Naturally, no trip to Singapore is complete without a trip to the malls. There are so many malls. There are more malls on this island then...then...there are a lot of malls. The best (and often the cheapest) food is in malls. The cleanest bathrooms are in malls. Also, the best people watching is in malls. Finally, you are more likely to die of frostbite in these malls, then anywhere else in Southeast Asia. 

Cambodia is so sadly unnecessarily poor, and it's easy to loose perspective and hope. But then there's Singapore. Cambodia will never be Singapore, but maybe one day we'll have more then three malls selling only goods from China. Maybe Cambodia will have a park one day (a true park with true grass). Maybe one day Cambodia will have a vibrant diverse society that seems to enjoy it's diversity. But for now, I'll just have to go back to Singapore to experience all the above.

No comments: