Thursday, April 19, 2012

This Post is for Halfway

I can't help notice on my calendar, that I've been living in Cambodia 18 months. That totals to exactly half of my time in Cambodia. Of course, extension is always an option, but the likelihood of a new adventure in the likes of Timbuktu, Vanuatu, Slovenia is rather high. Historically, my immediate family is incapable of staying in one place longer than three years, so I must carry the torch forward.

I have a love/hate relationship with Cambodia. I love my life; my friends, my church, my colleagues, most of my job, and the rich abundance of easily accessible vacation destinations. But I struggle with the systemic injustices; the land evictions, the overcrowding of cities, the harsh working conditions of garment workers, the high rates of domestic violence, the massive corruption. I've gone through stages of anger at Cambodia for these senseless tragedies that could so easily be avoided. I've also experienced times of hope and excitement, seeing positive change at the periphery. This is life as a global nomad. You can't compare with your home country because that's unfair. You can however be frustrated that change is a slow and dynamic process which can often include regression.


But now that I've summited the mountain and finished the hardest part, I expect a fast decent. Time only goes faster when you're having fun. And for the record, life is so, so good.

No comments: