Friday, May 25, 2012

How to Celebrate Khmer New Year: 2nd Edition


For my second Khmer New Year (and my third New Year within 2012), a new adventure was required. This year is notably for me because it's "my year," the Year of the Dragon" on the Chinese calendar and they only come around once every 12 years.

This year I went to Koh Thmei. It's a very tiny unknown island in Kampong Som Province, 30 kilometers from Kampong Som town (otherwise known as Sihanoukville). While the island has been here for ages, we stayed at a nice new resort owned by a German couple. There was a sense of tension when seven loud an energetic girls showed up. But we calmed ourselves down considerably and allowed for plenty of island peace for the few other guests.

Gettings to Koh Thmei is a small adventure. It requires driving the five hours down towards Sihanoukville, but turning 30 kilometers north of the town and heading on a rural dirt road. Eventually, you arrive a tiny congested fishing village. From there, you hop on a small boat and ride out towards the island for yet another hour. It's an adventure for the faint-hearted and the brave...but still an adventure.

While it seems mandatory to write about my Khmer New Year: Dragon/12, the summation is actually underwhelming! I read two books, laid on the beach, ate lots of food, went for short walks and enjoyed the breeze, the bright sunshine, and both the sun and the rain.

My only complaint is regarding sand flees, which are nasty creatures leaving you itchy well over a week after the encounter. I've no doubt the year can only improve from here.

No comments: