Thursday, January 10, 2013

This Post is for 2012

Moments from 2012 to welcome in 2013

If I had to summarize 2012 in one word, this would be easy. 2012 was brilliant. So many brilliant things occurred this year. Frankly, most of these adventures have already been chronicles in the web pages of this blog. But I need this experience, the experience of writing this post, to express my overwhelming gratitude. 2011 was rough. I knew little. I felt lost and confused. 2012 was a solid chunk of time. Many of my blessings were unexpected; an unexpected evening with friends, and unplanned night of board games, Avengers or Batman at the cinema, a new cheesecake restaurants and cafes, new children to whom I'm "Ming Grace," new books I've loved, new music I've danced to, and blog posts I've crafted. So many of my cherished moments were not crafted. They happen. And I'm eternally grateful. I had some brilliant adventures in new places and I've also learned a lot.

Adventures Had
1)   International New Year’s Eve Singapore: The glamorous lights on the glitzy Marina Bay where I prayed and wished for a glorious year.
2)   Bali: Temples, beaches, games, and food.
3)   A Southern Vietnam Driving Tour: 40 hours in a bus over four days? Check! Also flowers in the shape of the Vietnamese flag.
4)   Koh Thmei, KYN 2012: Laying in the sand, watching boats, reading books with friends.
5)   USA 2012: Family/Jon, bikes, Target…in that order.
6)   Sihanouk’s Death: Learning how much I don’t know about Cambodia.
7)   Chiang Mai Thailand: Lanterns and food, paradise.

Lessons Learned
8)   Wake up every day with gratitude
9)   Ask the fundamental questions: “how would you do this?” “tell me what do you think?” “can you explain this to me a little bit better?”
10)   Ask for help when you need it.


I have two goals for 2013…to get a new job…and to move somewhere I have never lived before. I’ve lived in a mere nine countries and six states...that leave literally 75% of the earth left to work with (and yeah, I would totally take North Korea or Iran if offered, who wouldn’t!). An unofficial goal is to visit two new countries and get that number up to 30, but we shall see. It does seem quite likely. A final goal? Keep my eyes wide open for unexpected joys and unexpected lessons.

No comments: