Thursday, April 10, 2008

How I ended up in Pakistan

In keeping with tradition, I’ll attempt to explain how I got to Islamabad. When I learned about it, I couldn’t keep Islamabad and Istanbul straight. It was hair brained and I felt very stupid but I knew the exact amount of information about both, zero. I learned not to tell people I was going to Islamabad because few people know where it is (I didn't either, that made two!). I didn't tell people I was going to Pakistan either because that sounds scary. I tried Asia. That sounds romantic, say it in a soothing voice…“I'm moving to Asia.” Less romantic when you try to explain why.

Originally, our family’s plan was to move back to Lusaka Zambia after our assignment in Harare Zimbabwe. But one thing happened, and then another, and my dad was offered a job with our same humanitarian organization in Pakistan. Our departure in Harare was entirely contingent on the arrival of the new country representative's paperwork. After 2 months waiting on the Zimbabwean government to process it, his visa came through. We left two weeks later, packing two Land Cruisers and driving the 6 hours back up to Lusaka. We had just under 3 weeks in Lusaka which we turned around and packed our belongings in a 40 foot container for Pakistan (the same time I started a challenging new college term, everything was bad timing). By 29 March, we had left Africa, our home of
7 years behind.

Pakistan two weeks into it is great. The food is great, people are kind, and the weather this time of year lovely. Islamabad is a bubble laid out on a grid; the city is divided into sectors, there’s a great shopping center in Sector F7-6. You have to be careful, keep a low profile and be culturally sensitive but security isn't paramount. Friends back in Africa who have previously lived in Pakistan or have traveled in the area are green with envy because it's a lovely city with a vibrant culture. “You’re going to love it, you’re going to love it…” I’ve been told, and so I will. A Pizza Hut, French cheeses, broadband, so far the quality of life is better then my previous 7 years in Africa.

I'm feeling quite blessed and content! (And Bollywood music and movies are just awesome!)

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I'm so glad you're loving Pakistan! What a blessing. It sounds wonderful! The map sure was helpful in forming a mental picture of where Pakistan is located on the globe... I actually thought it was somewhat farther west, I guess near Israel or something. ha!

J'taime, mon bon amie!