Thursday, April 3, 2008

How I Made it All Fit

I think I love packing and moving. This obviously means I need counseling. Recently I rediscovered, as I always do sooner or later, that I’m really deceiving myself. I hate it packing. I hate staring at a suitcase and realizing that a computer bag and piece of decaying plastic hold all my earthly possessions of meaning and value. That piece of plastic sits open on my floor, and I’m forced to decide what clothes and books are going to define me for the upcoming…week…month…6 months…year… I hate it because, as always, it doesn’t fit but I try to make it and it doesn’t so I scream and it still doesn’t fit. So the cutting down happens; less books, fewer shoes.

I have learned several golden rules of packing. One, don’t pack the bag so you can’t lift it. I learned the importance of this when I couldn’t lift my own bag off the conveyer belt. You must, in all logical consistency be able to lift your luggage because…well…you’ve got to move it.

Second, don’t go overweight. The airline people are watching like hawks for foolish travelers trying to smuggle several extra kilos in their bag. If anything, you don’t wait to look like a dumb traveler when you strew your belongings over the airport floor in an effort to rearrange. I was one of those dumb travelers once (not this time, thankfully) and believe me, you feel extremely self-conscience baring the substance in your suitcases before hundreds of people pouring pity upon you for your idiotic lack of foresight. And while we’re at it, don’t forget the liquids ban. It may be old news but I had to make that mistake and ended up in Southern Africa without my toiletries. I was mad. I recall being angered to tears because…well…who wants to travel without toothpaste. Yuck. I do know a kid who tried to smuggle a machete in his carry-on, he was an MK and security was so amused they let him through after confiscating the “toy."

This time getting to Islamabad, I did make it fit. I have to be proud of myself because as always, I didn’t think I would but it finally did, and I’m sure, I still need counseling.

No comments: