Thursday, July 3, 2008

How Reentery Happened- 2008 Version

When returning from far away lands to the United States, there are always things that jump out. Going from the developing to the developed world has it's little delights and advantages you forget how much you can miss. This year, reentry has been (as always)full of little pleasures. After living in two difficult places (and scheduled to return) life on the other side of the fence is a bright shade of green (even greener since we're apparently "going green" now too).

1) I love seeing lawns. In Asia and Africa, houses are behind gates and walls and protected by guards. Here, I enjoy seeing the pretty little houses decorated and with perfectly cut grass and more often then not a crisp flag hanging to remind us what nation we're in. In my little town there's almost a competition who has their house decorated best and with the most attractive gardening. Our house is often the reported winner, as my grandparents have done a magnificent job keeping it quite adorable. Look for the cutest house in town, that's mine, thanks to them!

2) I love how people say hi when I take a walk. In Pakistan, I keep my eyes down when I pass people and generally ignore the world. You don't interact with strangers, most of all men. Yet when I take a walk around the block in my town, people say hi! People gardening, loyal walkers and joggers, kids on bikes and roller blades, we greet each other, like we're humans, like we're neighbors, like we're anglophones! Cool!

3) I love how (some) guys open the door for me. This I hope isn't simply because I'm 19, female and have mastered the magic of eyeliner, if you catch my drift. I like how we hold the door open for people, pick up keys or toys for people when they drop them, or run after someone who's dropped their hat. It has a sense of neighborly community.

4) I love how women in the dressing room give me fashion advice. It's hilarious how so many people will offer their advice when they see you obviously deliberating your choices. "Honey, it looks real nice on you."

5) I love English radio. It's almost annoying coming back and hearing such loud American accents. It hurts your ears when you're out of practice. But then you get used to it, and it's homy feeling. For my parents, it reminds them that some things never change when 60s, 70s, and 80s stuff is still playing and makes Taylor Swift and Justin Timberlake seem like preschoolers in the life of recorded music.

No comments: