Thursday, January 1, 2009

How New Years Divides Us

Happy New Year to anyone who thinks it's New Years! Perhaps this seems strange, I'll admit I'm being very strange indeed but needless to say for some people, it's just an ordinary day. I say this because I've found calenders, dating systems, and new year celebrations to be some of the most diverse around the world.

Contrasting Christmas, New Years has the most flavor of any holiday. The Muslims have their own calender dating from Muhammad, the Ethiopians have their own calender and clock (living there had many communications difficulties. The Chinese are the most famous in terms of the alternative calenders.

As a kid I thought the ball dropping in NYC was absurd. I thought staying up till midnight was fabulous until study habits changed and staying up till midnight became a normal part of life. As a kid I loved getting free money in red envelops with the rest of the Chinese children during the three days of New Year. But one thing I've never grown tired of is celebrating New Years, in whatever nation, on whatever calender and at any time of the year. This does create problems concerning the establishment of revolutions so in that case, I selected January 1 as my New Years. Happy New Year!

No comments: