Tuesday, December 28, 2010

How New Year Divides Us: Second Edition

It's sad watching 2010 draw to a close. I couldn't have ask for a better year. It was my absolute favorite year thus far; good times, everyday miracle, watching and laughing at life life, exploring beauty and strength, and beginning the art of trusting people. Even though much of this past year was in the States, it was global nomadic themed which greatly improved upon it's massive success. But success was truly found in the amazing people I encountered.

Originally I planned to reflect back on the top 10 events of the year...but 10 expanded...and kept expanding...and I'm a writer so we're notoriously bad at self-editing.

1) New Years in Atlanta with my dearest friend Olivia, seeing David Crowder Band, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Beth Moore, and John Piper live, along with thousands of young people in the Philips Arena seeking service-based lives.

2) Living with hilarious people in a rundown drafty and foodie-obsessed house over the spring semester; playing board games, watching at Winter Olympics, lots of homemade bread and soup and playing in snow storms.

3) Establishing myself as the owner of a bachelor's degree while my mom, grandparents, aunt and uncle, and special friend Lorraine all stood with me.

4) Spending 10 summer weeks in Washington DC. I learned what I don't want to do with my life, but discovered someone who I enjoy spending my life with...finding green spaces, photographic spots, and good coffee.

5) Becoming the proud owner of a Fuji Newest 3.0 and biking down the Met-Branch Trail at 9pm with the Capital Building glowing at the end of the trail. This is epic in the truest sense.

6) A whirlwind BWI/DC/NYC roadtrip with my parents, the highlights being walking along DC bike trails with Jon and lapping Central Park NYC three times on my new bike in my new biking gear.

7) Three months with my family and grandparents, building relationships with them and enjoying their company; kayaking and tubing in the Adirondacks, taking my sister to college, and biking along County Route 13 (yes, on the Fuji Newest 3.0).

8) Remembering and celebrating Darrell Hercyk's life.

9) Getting the job I always wanted, with the organization I wanted, in the field I wanted, in a region I wanted, in this economic climate...that was a miracle...

10) Taking Jon to my favorite places around New York because beautiful places must be shared.

11) Going out to Stoneybrook Farm in Filer Idaho to visit my lovely friend Sarah; eating the freshest veggies in the world, packing seasonal baskets, driving a tractor, seeing the Rockies, and walking on the Oregon Trail.

12) Twice meeting Sudanese Catholic clergy building peace in Sudan while the country counts-down to separation and possible violence, and knowing that a united and peaceful church really can make a difference even if our governments are doing nothing.

13) Moving to Asia...by myself...in two suitcases...and blind faith.

My theme for the year was "Big." I knew this time last year everything was going to be big in 2010. I mean, I was graduating! I knew life would change and that the changes would be drastic. I wanted to believe that a big God would orchestrate what I needed for the future. It was a test to myself. Did I trust God was big enough? It's a self-examination I will continually reapply. My "Big" year meant overcoming big fears and conquering big steps, and breaking down big issues in small pieces and solving them one by one; transitioning into "grown-up" from college student and peacebuilder from simply quizzical inquirer.

I'm indeed sad closing this chapter. But a new year starts; new miracles, new challenges, new strangeness and bizarreness, new beauty and strength and the opportunity to take on Asia. New Years are different for everyone, literally and figuratively (I live in Cambodia, we celebrate the New Year on three calendars). But we all want the new year to be better then the last so maybe it unites us more then I previously thought.

1 comment:

Kaylee Curtis said...

this is just...beautiful! i love the way you write about the new year coming! sometimes we feel sad about what we're losing, but you're celebrating what has past, and knowing that it will build on what is coming in your future. it's exciting! you're helping me look even more forward and with even more happiness to the new year! thank you, love!

<3