Sunday, December 26, 2010

How to Celebrate Christmas In Phnom Penh

I didn't really plan Christmas. Christmas activities fell in my lap this year. Sometimes when things fall in your lap you know someone is looking out for you.

Christmas Eve: Christmas Eve was perfect. I talked to all my family (and then some!), ate pancakes, went shopping, ate at KFC (even though I hate meat and fried foods), spent several hours updating computer software. And then, off to Mass with six other MCCers. There was a full on rendition of Jingle Bell Rock and Deck the Halls in addition to all the traditional Christmas hymns and precious small children doing a nativity play. From there, I ventured onto a friend's house where some of my house-church friends/coworkers had prearranged a Christmas Eve sleepover. There were eight of us who stayed over and several others who came over in the morning for brunch. We strung up mosquito nets on the veranda; ate our favorite foreign foods, played games and stayed up till 11:30pm which is the Cambodian equivalent to three am.

Christmas Day: Christmas brunch! I stayed over till well past noon the next day before I really couldn’t function anymore because I was puking up strange foods. So I slept, watched "Love Actually" and "The Queen" and didn't go out to my favorite Khmer restaurant with friends where the rice comes in a giant pineapple. We did watch Harry Potter 7 so that was fun.

Boxing Day: I tried to go to church but church was not occurring given the holiday festivities. And so I went out for French toast and treated myself to new music...and watched a movie...and a nap.

All in all, it was a good Christmas. It was my first Christmas tout de seule, my first Christmas in Cambodia, my first post-uni Christmas, so many firsts. I cannot complain. In fact, I really can't complain, me and my two-liter bottle of Sprite.

1 comment:

Kaylee Curtis said...

sounds like a nice holiday!! but it makes me very very very sad to hear you got sick!!!! i love you!! i'm sending you feel-better thoughts, and we're skyping soooon!! :D xox