Thursday, December 22, 2011

How Christmas arrived in Phnom Penh

So how does my dearest Phnom Penh express it's festive side this Christmas time.

Well, first of all, Christmas is not a national holiday. So kids will be in school, businesses will be open, and your 24-hour mart (even though realistically it's 7 to 9 joint), will be open.

However, Christmas fever seems to have bitten the town (along with Dengue, another story).

These are the things I have noticed (yet neglected to photograph):
  • Imported Western candy at Lucky supermarket (including candy canes and personal favorite, holiday Hershey Kisses)
  • There have been two Christmas markets, where social enterprises are selling their good to the mostly expat community
  • Multiple blow-up Santas in front of mini-market
  • One favorite coffee shop (Brown) has a peppermint latte
  • Multiple sales at various establishments (including clothing shops and craft stores)
Finally, I don't know if this coincides with Christmas, but there are twinkle lights all along Noradom Avenue (crooked but still so pretty!), and green, blue, and white twinkle lights around Independence Monument. Independence will also have lights on the little shrubs around it (not unlike little Christmas trees) and the fountains will be playing with coordinated changing color lights. Noradom Ave and Independence Monument are often decorated for national holidays and festivals. One of my favorite things to do in Phnom Penh for holidays is to loop the Independence round-about several times, drive up Noradom, circle Wat Phnom at the top (which will also have special spot lights), drive back down Noradom, loop Independence once again, and drive home quite happily singing songs to myself. For just a little while, everything feels just a little prettier.

Perhaps it's because I will see my family over the holidays, but I am feeling the holidays. I still sweat everyday, run the AC at the office everyday and on swimming on Saturday. Yet I am steadfast in my belief that Christmas may not be hijacked by cold weather people when demographically, more people live in climates similar to Cambodia.

Incidentally, Phnom Penh has also taken to recently posting banners declaring itself "the Charming City." I take great offensive to the use of the word charming in this situation. Unless however we mean trash in the gutter, no zoning, monster Chinese-styled buildings in tiny lots, stupid one way streets, zero sidewalks, very few trees, and chronically aggressive motodup and tuk tuks. Phnom Penh is near and dear to my heart, clearly. However, charming in this context has been hijacks. In fact, I have declared this city..."The Crazy Town."

No comments: