Thursday, December 29, 2011

How New Year Divides Us: Third Edition

Singapore's finest.
There are many new articles and editorials documenting how 2011 was so crappy, mostly on account of the global economy (and the Kardashians). For me, this was entirely true. After the amazingness of 2010, 2011 was born into failure. The first half of the year was rough. I finally verbalized my worst fear in late June; Cambodia was a mistake. It wasn’t in July that things began to turn, when I learned the swing of work, finally realize what I was here to accomplish, and made a solid group of friends. So not surprisingly, the majority of this list happened later 2011. 


Luang Prabang Laos: I took a night train to Laos! I took an overnight bus in Laos! I ate sticky rice and curry in Laos! This tiny landlocked country stole my heart with its mountains, its food and its darling obsession for outlawing motos. But walking around the former mountainous country’s former capital city of Luang Prabang, by the beautiful old temples and the Mekong was a memory to cherish.

A little of Mondlekiri...
East Timor: Is it possible to climb up a statue of Jesus, go driving, snorkeling, kayaking, dance the poka poka, visit Marynoll sisters in a far off mountainous “village,” and eat cod-fish with the Portuguese on Christmas Eve…and within one week? It most certainly is! My family live on this pleasant little island, and they are doing well.

Mondlekiri: Perhaps my favorite day in Cambodia thus far happened in Mondlekiri. Renting a moto and driving through the mountains; pine trees, Thai food and one unique eco lodge, waterfalls, calm and quiet, and sunshine mixed with rain. Mondlekiri was one favorite piece of a fabulous month-long visit from my very favorite person.

The EED Grant: I’ve never written a grant or proposal in my entire life (my college failed me in that respect). So imagine my surprise when the first grant I had ever written for $40,000 USD for my one partner was accepted by German funder EED? I earned my wings as a partner adviser. 
Yes I am a safe driver.

The Day they “Got It”: I can clearly remember the day when at my partner, we brought in an outside consultant to discuss our M&E framework (what I had been putting together for the past several months with two national staff). He loved it, and a light bulb went on for the national staff. I knew in that moment that they got it. It was validating of our work together, and appeased doubts that they would never understand the purpose of documenting one’s work. Moments like these reward us service workers who often question if we're doing anything right.

The Temples of Angkor (credit to Jon)
Rain driving: During the rainy season, sporadic bursts of rain are inevitable. It happens often when you’re driving. There is something completely joyful about splashing through giant puddles with rain coming down so hard you can hardly breathe. (Provided you have no valuables on you.)

Singapore Orchid Garden: Singapore’s Orchid Garden was perfect. Cambodia doesn’t afford many green spaces, so sitting down next to a bed of orchids was almost too much for me to handle. It was almost a restoring of a soul; that natural untainted beauty does exist, even in small little places, and in small flowers. It was also one of the cheaper things to do in the over-developed Singapore.

Angkor Wat: I’ve been to Angkor Wat twice now. I don’t love Angkor Wat because it’s so freaking hot out there and you can’t see the temples without becoming completely exhausted! However, it’s a pretty spectacular sight to see. Everyone should see it once in their life (I think Jackie Kennedy said that).

Laos Beckons
Learning to Drive: I’ve written so much about driving moto in Phnom Penh and the countryside. It’s because I just love it that much! The day when I leave my beloved moto (affectionately known as “lake boo-in” or “Number Four”), I might actually cry.

The Team: The vast majority of the MCC Cambodia team arrived within Cambodia in a 10 month time-frame. As a result, our three-year terms will all overlap a good two years. This solid group of couples, mostly non-Mennonites who have all extended their homes, their fridges, their humor and stories, their vacations, their friendships, and (in one case) their firstborn red-head child to me. I will prize these friendships for life. (This also includes the one-year “interns” or “saltines” who I have been happy to count among my friends.)
A little Timor with the little siblings 


I am so excited for 2012; challenge filled certainly but one hopefully filled with joy. I look forward to:
·         New friendships and deepening present friendships
·         Visiting new places and countries
·         Seeing my family and dear ones again
·         More late night skype conversations
·         Completing GREs
·         Possibly a half-marathon...
·         Above all else, finally getting my partner on board with the M&E indicators I wrote last September. (No one ever said capacity building or even communication was easy.)

No comments: