Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How to Move Forward

Moving into a new and hopefully better year, I've been thinking about how to move forward. There are certain points in life where one notes a dramatic move forward. These are graduations, marriages, children, location changes, and even shifts at one's job. Some of these are significant points and as society we place great emphasis on these moments, as well we should. They signal celebration, moving forward, a welcome change in the status quo. We honor this times, because these changes note that the person is taking a risk and investing in something new and exciting.


Yet honestly, I'm not graduating, or moving locations, or getting married or changing much about my job, and I'm so thankful  for no impending children. I'm still here, just here. It's hard as a nomad to stand still, even when you're only standing still for three years. Yet even though my life looks quite uninteresting and stationary, I wish there was some way to celebrate that I am moving forward. I'm facing my own petty fears. I am trying new research methodology. I am visiting new places and collecting new pictures of new adventures. I'm challenging my own ignorance and prejudice. I am moving forward. This is how any one of us nomads can move forward. There is no one date, or output or even outcome from these small forward movement. Still, I'm just a little excited for these small actions and little changes because it offers the opportunity to grow and reach out. And thank God no major upheaval will happen soon. I'm completely incapable of handling that.

No comments: