Thursday, January 5, 2012

How to Visit Timor Leste

Outside Dili
How many people know where East Timor or Timor Leste is located? I didn’t think so. Fear not, nine months ago, I didn’t either. I learn about places by moving to them…or when my family moves to them. Timor Leste was no exception. However, fortunate for me, this specific move on my family’s part was located conveniently enough to warrant a Christmas visit.


How does one get to Timor Leste? Few options exist…Darwin, Bali or Singapore. I choose Singapore, and after an overnight in the cleanest city in Asia, I found myself on a three hour flight to Dili, Timor Leste. That's how you get to Timor. But how do you visit?

There are several interesting features about Timor Leste that I will remember from my trip as either memorable or essential to my understanding of Timor:

A Little Snorkeling...
Indonesia: Timor Leste was a Portuguese colony. When the Portuguese left in 1974, Indonesia moved in, ushering in war and conflict which only ended in 2002. As a result, the UN is still in Timor, and Timor is still recovering.

Church: 98% of the one million population self-identify as Catholic; introduced by the Portuguese and solidified as representative of the resistance movement during Indonesian occupation.

Beaches and Mountains: Timor’s beautiful beaches provide spectacular views of the ocean and vis versa. This fits well with the next point.
Inside one of the nativities...

Tour de Timor: What better way to rehabilitate a post-conflict nation’s image then host a competitive bike race? 2011 was the third annual Tour de Timor, and it’s gathering quite a following in the region.

There are several events worth repeating should you ever venture to this beautiful island.

A Portuguese Christmas Eve: This was arguably one of the most memorable things about Timor! My family has some awesome Portuguese friends and they invited us over for a traditional “Christmas Day” (I call it Christmas Eve). I can now say cod fish and opening presents after midnight is my idea of an awesome “Christmas Day.”

Going out for a dive.
Snorkeling: Timor has plenty to offer in this area and it's not that difficult breathing through this pipe. It's quite pleasant compared with the next point (in terms of difficulty).

Diving: Timor might not be the most developed nation, but the underwater life continued regardless of Indonesian occupation. I’ve never been diving before, but whatever my 10 years old brother can do, I can do…even if my panic attack was more apparent than his. Once you overcome your nerves, it’s an experience like no other.

Kayaking!
Kayaks: I’m learning to love kayaks (in general). So kayaking on the calm of a small bay under a giant statue of Jesus known as “Cristo Ray” was quite memorable!

Mountains: Driving on the switchbacks on tiny one-lane (but really two lane!) roads through the mountains is really a once in a lifetime experience! We did not die and the views were amazing.

Nativities: In celebration of Christmas, every neighborhood had their own little version of the Holy Family, each set in a little open-air “shed” and complete with lights, tinsel, and garland. Some had wise men, or camels, or shepherds, or goats…and often Santa.
Arguably, the best part about Timor and my Christmas was the opportunity to visit family. But then, not everyone has family that lives in remote Pacific islands!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Sounds like an awesome place to visit! Envious.

Papa T said...

Glad that you had a good time with the family.