Thursday, December 27, 2012

How Christmas Unites Us


Time for the annual "Christmas unites us" post. What words of wisdom or words of semi-sarcasm will I speak this year?

Uhh...

....hmm

well...

Apparently after a few moments of reflection, none.

What I do have is profound gratitude for a wonderful Christmas season. I'm thankful for the advent celebrations. I'm thankful for the utterly tacky multicolored, migraine-induing blinking Christmas lights we put on our utterly homely office Christmas tree (when in Asia...). I'm thankful for the InterCon Christmas fair where over 40 vendors of artisan and fair trade crafts brought in a major cash haul from the Phnom Penh expat community, myself included. I'm thankful for the candy canes which can be purchased at Lucky Supermarket, an added Christmas cheer to a miserably hot climate. I'm thankful for Christmas carols and frosted sugar cookies at my work Christmas party. I am thankful for the crazy gift exchange at my partner organization.

Most of all, I'm thankful for my friends. They have shared their Christmas joy with me. They have shared their parties. They have let me enjoy their Christmas trees (I'm so lazy). They have made a family for me while my own is far away. I'm grateful for the people who are so skilled at making Christmas a time where people are united and I aspire to be like them.

I will remember Christmas 2012 as a fine season filled with ever so much food, ever so many friends, and ever so many tacky Christmas decorations popping up throughout this Buddhist country.

No comments: