Thursday, December 20, 2012

This Post is for the Fowlers

There have been many influential people who has passed through my life in the last 26 months, but few have been as influential as my colleagues Ryan and Daphne.

One of the more pleasant discoveries upon arrival in is that with few exceptions, the vast majority of the team had arrived in-country within a 10-month time frame. This meant that all of our three-year terms had substantial overlap which for me, has been a meaningful joy-filled experience. I have valued and enjoyed everyone for so many different reasons. So with Ryan and Daphne's departure, the social fabric of the team will soon unravel, and the dominoes of departures will soon begin to fall. Life as I know it has begun to change.

But a brief interlude for nostalgia's sake. I learned a lot from Ryan and Daphne. I learned about hospitality as they are some of the most gracious people I've ever met. I was always delighted to visit their country-side posting of Prey Veng where you were wonderfully fed, and probably had the chance to do some form of crafts. I learned a lot about linking faith with our practice, and thinking reflectively about out impact on the areas where we're serving. I learned about graciousness in transitions. I got to befriend Maya, a super cute baby that I miss already. Finally, I will always remember the night bus from Luang Prabang to Vientiane were we were out cold for most the night on motion sickness/sleeping meds, then wandered around Vientiane like the walking dead trying to find coffee and new shoes for Daphne. Moments like these become adventures and memories you keep.

Who knows where we shall meet again, but the world is small. I'm grateful we had the opportunity to cross paths, and I look forward to seeing how Maya grows up.

No comments: