Thursday, June 27, 2013

How everything is not ok: Cambodia Confessions

A good part of Cambodia: My balcony.

I have loved living in Cambodia. I have my moments (who doesn't), but overall it's been a pleasure. I haven't fallen in love with Cambodia the way I've loved other places, but I've warmed up to Asia and I will absolutely return. 

When I arrived, I knew I was going to be here for three years. I couldn't let everything bother me. I learned to either process my frustrations or ignore them. Now with the end in sight, I'm allowing myself to admit my secret anger. Making this list was therapeutic. Now I can admit....everything has not been ok.

Things which make me extremely angry that I've been suppressing for three years.


Very frustrating
  • This climate. Chronically sticky, chronically dehydrated. It's so miserable 50 weeks out of the year.
  • No parks. Where should I picnic? Where do I go to see trees?
  • Weddings/Funerals. I've not been good suppressing this specific point of frustration. I will never understand why people block public roads for loud and private events. 
  • Sidewalks turned into parking lots. Where am I supposed to walk?
  • Motodups. No. I don't want a moto taxi or a taxi. Ask me again and I'll tell you the same.

Somewhat Irritating
  • People answering their phones when I'm speaking to them. This is perfectly normal and not disrespectful whatsoever in an otherwise painfully polite country. I've waited up to 15 minutes for people to finish their phone calls while sitting patiently. 
  • Sheer women's tops without a tank top underneath. This one I just don't understand. In an otherwise conservative society, even older women do this. Does this mean we're comfortable with our bodies? It drives me crazy.
  • Khmer music videos on buses. If I never hear another sad music video where someone dies at the end on a battered bus for the rest of my life, I will be happy.
  • Personal questions. Please stop telling me what you think of my weight. I makes me uncomfortable. Please stop asking about when I'm getting married. Must you publicly comment on my facial acne?
  • Sour soup. It's wrong. 
  • Acronyms. Everything must have an acronym. Also, the acronyms are always in English when English isn't all that common. Speaking in the code of acronyms does not feel as space age as you'd think.
  • Exercise limitations. I just want to walk, bike, run... There are no places to do this without fearing for your life, and without being the target of gaping stares. 

Less this post be entirely negative, I've also made a list of things that no longer bother me. 


Things so normal I don't notice them

  • Squat toilets. Not a big deal.
  • Traffic. 95% of the time, whatever.
  • Getting stuck in a downpour. Pull over, buy a 35 cent "raincoat" keep going. No biggy. 
  • Rice. Twice a day on average, not a problem.
  • Looking bad. Helmet hair, sweat stains, mascara sliding off my face...part and parcel
  • Seeing women exercising in the gym in heels. Not a problem.
  • Construction noise. It all fades into the horizon. 
  • Two currencies. Paying for items in a mix of US dollars and Khmer riel, effortless.
  • PJs in public. Why not wear my Cambodian "matchy-matchy's" to the corner store?

Oh Cambodia. You have been good to me. You amuse me constantly. In all my whinging, life has been good. 

No comments: