Thursday, June 13, 2013

How this is life

Southern Cambodia

It strikes me sometimes that I'm a "lifer." Others are sick of Asia, sick of Asian countries, sick of the whole blah blah experience. People I know feel like this. They want/need to go home. I respect that. Honestly, I'm quite done with the climate, the sour soups and can we all agree the sidewalks are for walking and not for driving? We are all different. We all have different strategies of meeting our needs and different currents run through our veins. 

But if I look within myself...this is my life. This is how I live. The notion that I must move to my home country and "settle down" is intensely irritating. I don't do this because I "have the travel itch," or because I want to save the world. I do this because this is who I am, and where I find my heart and soul. I could sooner change my shoe size or my inadequate height. One can grow sick of a country, but one will always seek adventure because one cannot change one's heart and soul. You don't expect it to be easy, but you are compelled to continue. Even though it doesn't make sense, it so clearly does. My goals are relatively simple...live in a francophone country, live in Indonesia, live in Iceland, visit everything else. I don't know what the future holds, but it's a series of adventures to cherish, beautiful places to see and unexpected people to love. It will be perfect.

After so many beautiful and unique and remarkable places...I'm a lifer. 

No comments: