Thursday, September 19, 2013

How my street changed in 2.5 years

I have been looking forward to this post for quite some time. For one, I like comparisons. Secondly, this is the easiest method to express in a limited way just how much Phnom Penh has changed over my time here. I live on the third floor of an apartment building and have a beautiful balcony which once offered an amazing view of the city. Now it offers a lovely view of...something....altered by urban development. Apparently all industrious Cambodians want to build a high-rise and make a quick buck from renters. Due to zero zoning laws, they continue to grow higher and closer together.

The first picture happened by accident. The second was intentional (if on a whim). The third is carefully and excitedly planned. Change is fascinating, it's it?

June 2011

November 2012

September 2013

A bonus picture

Just an average evening. Coming home and finding a cement mixer.

No comments: