Thursday, September 26, 2013

This Post is for My Cambodian Experience



It is with sadness that I leave the Kingdom of Wonder. Wonderful, it has been. I have learned far more than I ever thought possible. I have made friends that will last a lifetime. I've learned that I can live on my own, work on my own and survive, with just a little encouragement from my family and friends. I learned how to ask more questions, hopefully better questions. I learned to sit-at-the-table even when I didn't feel like it.

I thought about staying longer but I'm grateful that the pieces feel together infinitely better than I ever through possible. I overflow with gratitude for the experiences I've had here. I wouldn't trade it, though many nights I cried and many days I plowed through with sheer determination when my heart just wasn't it in. I tried to learn something from each miserable experience, and I like to think that largely, I do take lessons away.

My organization likes to point out we never return from our assignments the same. Well obviously. You never live in any foreign country unchanged. But I am a lifer. This is not the solely defining international home. This is one piece of my story, and a very good piece indeed. It was a good use of three years.

My next story will take me back to Virginia and on to grad school. It will take me on adventures of pursuing important relationships. I thought I would be unhappy but I've begun to feel it's time. You know something is right when you feel a sense of inner peace; inexplicable yet comforting.

What does that mean for this blog? Well, after seven years, it can't stop now. It might take a sabbatical, but it will continue in various forms, at various times. After all, I am a lifer.

No comments: