Sunday, February 25, 2007

How to (Really) Enjoy Spain

When your globetrotting grandparents invite you to visit them at their winter retreat in Spain, what do you do? Duh! You go!

Malaga, on the coast in Southern Spain, has a lot going for it. It’s warm, it’s sunny, and there’s the magnificent Mediterranean Sea. It’s a popular winter retreat for elderly Brits seeking sunshine and warmer weather. I heard a lot of English and when Rose and I walked along the beach, we were perhaps the only people under 60. Malaga has precious little connection to their history and traditional architecture but sports an air unique to Spain and hills I’ve never seen replicated before.

In order to really enjoy Spain, there are several things you simply have to do.

You must walk the beach. There’s no way you can visit the Mediterranean Sea and not walk along the beach. It’s not a glamour beach, not like the Bahamas but its quite beautiful. And come on! When are you going to the Mediterranean Sea again! I did, I put my toes in.

You Must Visit Mijas. Mijas is a little village up in the hills with an incredible view of the ocean. It’s more then an incredible view! The bus ride going up is something else on a one-lane switchback road with a huge bus, wondering if any moment you’ll meet the rocks far below on no pleasant terms. You’ll like it better when you reach the top. There are cute little shops with a million different souvenirs and lots of nice little restaurants with varieties of menus. Two years ago, my grandparents happened to meet David Beckham and family there so you just never know who you’ll run into in Mijas!

You Must get your Hair Cut. I got a do for only €11 and after spending €35 in Paris, well…I was pretty happy considering I got pretty much what I wanted! Having cash left over, I went and got a pair of Spanish designer sunglasses, enormously pleased with myself.

That’s just a few of the must-dos at Malaga. The southern Spanish coast is highly commercialized so there is lots of shopping and restaurants. The coast is covered high-rise hotels and apartments for the thousands that come down every year. There’s little coast, mostly high-rises which surprised me I must admit. You shouldn’t be disappointed however, it’s impossible not to like.

No comments: