Sunday, February 25, 2007

How to Cheat Your Way into Africa

There is really only one way to get to Africa. You pick a country, book your plane tickets and just go. However, you can cheat. You can take a ferry over from Spain to Tangiers Morocco; go in a day, return in a day. How about that!

Something I absolutely had to do when I was in Spain was take that trip to Tangiers. I spent 7 years in Africa. My worldview and values were shaped in Africa. I’m hope to one day work in Africa. I love Africa and I’m always looking for ways to see more and experience more.

In order to make the tour bus, you have to wake at 4:30 am to catch the 5:30 am bus. You drive for 2 hours picking up other passengers until to reach Spain’s largest harbor and the ferry. The ferry is a fabulous 1 hour and 20 minutes through the straight busy with ships coming and going from all over the world.

As the ferry arrives at Tangiers, it looks like you never left Spain. There are the huge shipping cranes, the ships and white Arab modeled homes covering the hills. How on earth could this be Africa? Here’s what I found.

Tangiers (with a one million population) is a historically important city. It rose to influence in the 6th century and passed through Arabic, French, Spanish, Portuguese and American hands. Now, it’s Morocco single most important port and one of the most influential in Northern Africa. It’s divided into “quarters,” American, French, German ect. with schools, embassies and residences, left over from the colonial days but very much in use now. The old city is inside the ancient walls, the new city has grown up outside the walls keeping the same architecture.

Tangiers streets are small and narrow, many are impossible to drive though. It’s busy, seemingly crammed but very clean and organized; very clean and organized. Mosques chant out prayers, the Berbers mix with the Muslims, the world seems more peaceful then it actually is.

If you've never been to a developing country, Tangiers might be a bit of a shock. Africa is shocking which personally, thrilles me. For others, it will take a bit to grow on you but don't you ever give up! Tangiers is a great introduction to Northern Africa. I found it a great trip, great day, and great city. I’d move there tomorrow and maybe one day, I will. One never really knows does one?

No comments: