Saturday, May 12, 2007

How Not to get Lost in Paris

The State of "Lost"

Now there is always the concern that you will reach the hopeless, helpless, painful state known as "being lost." Many people take great care not to reach this condition and arm themselves with such tools as maps, GPS systems, cell phones, credit cards, pain killers but still, it befalls the prepared and the unprepared alike. However, the unprepared raise their likelihood of "being lost" being simply the unprepared.

I have on 2 different occasions gotten really lost in Paris. Once, looking for the US embassy. (Why is there a USA flag flying over something other then the embassy? Becoming French are we?) The other time, looking for a cinema. Both times I dragged my friends around the block several times before discovering, I really hate Google Maps, I hate street signs, and I will never, ever on pain of death admit I'm "lost."

I have learned a great lesson regarding the "lost" state. Find a metro. It's really that simple actually. It's like a car is always waiting for you, where ever you go. You simply scurry down the big black hole into the underground and look at the metro map. "I need to take this metro to Nation then the RER A to Chatelet and then I can take the 10 line to Concorde and I'm a block away from the restaurant." (Never mind that happen's to be the most expensive district in Paris, you're there.)

Kind of cheating but it sure works...awesome! And I never have to ever really admit I'm lost! (evil laugh)

No comments: