Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Why I Learn French

How many times have I asked myself, why am I learning French? I know yes, I want to live in Africa- my Africa -and that includes western francophone Africa. Yes I want to have have two languages and would ultimately like to speak 3 or 4. But why I am spending my gap year on French when I could have seriously began college like my other friends.

But then, in the silence of the night, in the peace of the falling rain, in the joy of solitude and prayer, we always learn something. We learn languages to edify others. What greater honor then to share with someone in his own language the love of Christ that has changed my life. Language is emotional. It speaks to the heart of man, paints magnificent masterpieces of literature, it builds up and tears down, it brings war, and peace, creates ideals and philosophies and gives us a way to comunicate with others.

Never mind globalization, growing markets, and globalization. We speak to edify others. To show with words, not just deeds, what we believe and why we believe it; to express the joy of a life in Christ.

And when I remember that...French is worth it. Starting college a year late is worth it. It's worth sticking it out.

No comments: