Wednesday, May 9, 2007

How to Survive a Rainy Day

When it rains and you're living overseas, it's very easy to become depressed and feel the entire world is crashing down on you. In fact, that's sort of how I feel this ugly rainy afternoon. Why does it have to rain today?Why do I live in France? Why wasn't I born a martian? My computer doesn't love me!

1) Do your homework. It's very difficult to feel sad when wrapped in homework. It's virtually impossible, in fact. Between your online dictionary, your notes on the subjonctif and the conditionnel, it's easy to remind yourself that you live for a purpose, to do your homework.

2) Have a nice lunch. It's ridiculous how a cup of coffee with a French baguette makes everything so much more tolerable. (Unless of course the coffee is instant in which case, this proposal is rendered completely void.) A piece of chocolate (dark chocolate to match the mood) with the coffee makes even more sense and serves to easily remind you, that comfort foods exists in all forms in all countries.

3) Read a good book. No one should read a self-help book on overcoming depression on a rainy afternoon. Something uplifting with a notebook and pen and scented candle works though. Even crack the window to allow the depressingly cool rainy air into your lungs as you read. This naturally serves to remind you the beauty of literature can overcome rainy weather.

4) Be grateful you don't have to work outside. Someone had to point this out to me and I was delighted to find it works! I started I-tunes and opened my window just a bit and realized how glad I was not to be wet. You stay dry, doesn't require much thinking! Guess it works!

Et voila, that's it. How amazingly better I feel now. But then again, as much as rainy weather can be depressing, the joy of the Lord is our strength. The coffee does help though.

No comments: