Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How DC Stacks Up

So I spent eight weeks of my summer interning in America's capital. I had mixed feelings about it initially as I continued hearing comments like, "DC...yeah...it's not bad....""Yeah I've found things to enjoy about DC...""Oh my gosh! The crime! I had that freakin' city! And Dulles? I don't have words for Dulles....""DC tries to be cool, but it's not." I never heard anyone praise the city while gushing about it's wonderous sights, like say Paris or NYC. DC is just...blah. Yeah. Next please!

I have to agree with them. If you don't like politics, government or happy hour, DC is disappointing. There's no Champs Elysee where people strut their Prada and shop their hearts out. There's no Disney World where kiddies and parents scream on big rides. There isn't glamour, or culture or any real style. There isn't even anything that old. DC is a pretty modern capital when stacked up against world heritage sites.

DC is a political center. It's where latte-drinking, Gap-wearing, elite-educated type-As come with their determined face, going to change the world. It's not a place for hippies or culture-shakers. Life seems to revolve around happy hour where these trimmed individuals network over a margarita and extol the virtues of the current president. DC wants to be progressive. I can't say if they actually are. It's a culture of driven people, some fed up with bureaucracy, other's comfortable in their position in the hierarchy of power. Some out to change the world, others to change the country, and then there locals who simply call DC home and don't have anywhere else to go.

I've been amazed how much DC is an African American city. I know Africa. I love Eastern/Southern Africa. All I know about African Americans is what I've seen on TV which is ironically the same medium Africans learn about white Americans. I've been intrigued by a sub-culture I see here, one which I know nothing about but is such a large part of the country. It's such a large part of the city, but they don't seem to affect the city's group of driving world-changers.

If you love US history. DC is a blast. I've had my fair share of amusement and utterly delighted that I know many of the names, places, and dates on artifacts. (I did enjoy 11th grade US history while living in Addis Abba.) I had a field day gazing up at the US. Capitals rotunda and seeing the original flag inspired the Star Spangled Banner was a unique experience as I tried to connect to my American roots. If you want to go shopping. There's Georgetown but you should take the AmTrac to NYC. Every American has to do DC, and 4th grade school trips don't count if you can't remember it. There's a lot to like and there's lots of good food. That's for sure!

Stacked up against other cities....DC...uh....maybe... I truly couldn't say. There isn't anything really bad about it. I've live here two-five years, no more. I could do that, play the part and enjoy the glories of urban life. The crime is terrible but it's sure nice to have so many coffee shop choices and there's a fantabulous selection of world cultures. However, the nomad communities are largely South/Latin American, and I'm more of a Europe/Africa/Asia lover myself.

I'll give DC a seven out of ten...I think I'll keep shopping. I've got time...

No comments: