Thursday, August 13, 2009

How to Enjoy Washington DC

So I've already established that DC is not the most interesting city nor is it the most dull place. It's...just there. As a global nomad, I go for the slightly bizarre quirky things. As a quasi-American, I go for the history. And as a peacebuilder in training, I go for...yeah...peace. (No 60s peace/love/crack/pot stuff...a little more class people.) I have had a very good time here and so I advise the following...yet...these are through the lense of a quirky global nomad.

Several favorite activities at DC:

1) Drinking coffee at Caribou Coffee at Metro Center. There's a Starbucks every two blocks and I got spiteful. I loved my iced coffee watching people ascend and descend from the metro, writing my emails and papers, and trying to understand the whole appeal of a rustic-themed coffee joint.

2) Library of Congress. I got so excited. I did! The building is beautiful but you've gotta take a tour...take a tour my friend or you'll miss this temple to the importance and value of knowledge.

3) Jazz in the Sculpture Garden. I enjoyed the little bit I was here but it does it crowded and it's a thing you do with friends.

4) Stroll Downtown. I would put on my good clothes and my shades and pretend I belonged down there. The prettier parts of town would be Dupont or even up where I lived, Takoma Park or there's the Mall with the tourist in Chicos and Nikes. I liked all of the above. But I really digged downtown.

5) The Botanical Gardens: I flipped for this place. It's truly so beautiful. I enjoyed sitting and communing with my inner-self and mediating on community and peace (or not). Really, loved seeing all the green because...well...the Mall's grass is a little crewed up from the Crocs.

6) The Holocaust Museum: If you want to change the world, visit this place. I was moved beyond words, and affected far after I spent nearly four hours touring the memorial. I wasn't entirely sure how to process what I saw, but I promised myself I would never, ever, ever engage in any form of racism.

7) Lunch at the Tidal Basin: Overlooking the Jefferson Momument with dates and families out on the paddle boats. It was green, tree-lined and peaceful. I was contente.

8) See a Good Movie: It was "Julie and Julia" for me. Read the reviews, visit Rotton Tomatos, watch the trailers, and hit a matinee. You can go alone, it's still fun but you must bring your own candy and you must laugh loudly like an American at all the jokes. It's part of the cultural experience.

9) Uhh...visit DC and try something for yourself. You can also sera content (e).

No comments: