Friday, April 1, 2011

How to Wish...

When I was in uni, one of my favorite professors showed a Pussycat Dolls music video in class, "When I Grow Up." I believe his justification was that his infant daughter would only sleep to pop music, or something of that nature.

It was a social theory class and so we discussed the theory behind the song. Be careful what you wish you. You want to be famous but is it worth it to give up namelessness? The song encourages people to not reach higher; be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. So say the Dolls. So says conventional wisdom. Don't wish for everything you think you want, you might not actually want it! It might turn out to haunt you later! Status quo is good, status quo is manageable, status quo is a pussycat doll.

For some reason, memories of this experience have come back recently. Sometimes what I want isn't always what's best for me. Sometimes I obviously don't know what I want. It's ironic. At the same time, I don't think what I wish for has any effect on reality. It might predescribe behavior or influence decisions but it's not exactly the determining factor.

What do I wish for? Aside from fitting back into my skinny jeans, I wish for justice and fairness in relationships. I wish for democracy where everyone has a voice. I wish for peace where people don't have to live in fear. I wish for funding for our amazing peace partners! I hope I just might get it.

No comments: