Thursday, November 29, 2012

This Post is for Election 2012

Cambodians are pretty comfortable asking each other fairly personal questions. I've been asked my income, my weight, "why aren't you married?" Recently, I've been asked several regarding my political affiliation. The other questions don't bother me as much as the later. [In all fairness, when I commented that "it's not polite to ask," apologies were issued.]

I've been sick of election 2012 since August. I voted in early October. I got my ballot via mail, and held onto it for a few weeks, telling myself I needed to completely research the options (we're also voting for senators). Finally, one Friday afternoon I filled out the little bubbles on the ballet and prayed my soul would be spared for choosing what seemed at the time as the lesser of many evils.

And here we are! This post is for election 2012. It's over. That was a fabulous use of $6 billion dollars and an entire year of our precious time. I've been told I'm in a demographic shift of younger Americans disgusted with the political climate bestowed upon me. That sounds about right. I'm pretty disgusted.

Alas, I do believe in fulfilling my civic duty. It is with great honor and respect that I vote, first from Pakistan, now from Cambodia. I'm thankful to participate in the democratic process. I'm thankful that I'm from a country where I trust the system. Yeah, maybe it comes down to a swing state, but at least I'm not personally hunted down for my political affiliations, at least roads in my district will be paved regardless of how we voted, and at least I have faith that my ballet was indeed counted. I would never trade the blessing of participating in the process of governance. But if I was running, I would be a heck more civil.

No comments: